Saturday, March 30, 2013

Are you afraid of the dark?


When I was a little child, I found it hard to sleep without at least one light on. My parents employed a baby-steps strategy. They increased the distance between me and the nearest source of light gradually. It so happened that as the external source of light moved away from me, the light inside of me started to shine brighter.  Today, and in several moments of several days I feel proud of this little thing, "look, Mummy I can sleep even in pitch black darkness". The fear of the proverbial darkness of the unknown, unsettles all of us from time to time. Knowledge that brings us shame or guilt is infact more frightening.

I have learnt a few things from my encounters with the dark.
It will come sweeping in, blow your mind and threaten to destroy you - only if you let it.
Like any battle, you would loose this one too if you don't show up at the battle field- Don't forfeit, you owe yourself more than that.
There will be times when you may feel lost, you may not know who to turn to, what to do, that is not to say however that this state  is permanent. Say it out loud- this too shall pass.
Understand the cause of this dominance of black on your canvas, it may wound you. But you see, wounds heal.
No one man can conquer darkness, just as there is no, one master of light . Therefore what I have said is incomplete for even my own battle with darkness is on.
I leave you, readers with some quotes from one of my favorite fictional characters- Albus Dumbledore.

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.”
 “After all to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”"
"It’s the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."

No comments: